Mary E. Partridge, Most Worthy Grand Matron of the World, visited Ft. Casper Chapter No. 4 on May 13, 1897. Casper was then a struggling little frontier village, with a population less than 500. No palatial hotels, airplanes or even automobiles existed, and the long distances between towns were traveled by stagecoach or spring wagons.
Soon after this visit, in 1898, the existing eight chapters in Wyoming, working under the jurisdiction of the General Grand Chapter, received communication from Brother H. H. Hinds, the Most Worthy Grand Patron. A convention was called to assemble at Casper, Wyoming, at 10 o'clock a.m., September 14, 1898, to consider the propriety of forming a Grand Chapter of the Order for the jurisdiction of the State of Wyoming.
Nineteen delegates traveled to Casper on that date, from Sheridan in the extreme north, Lander well in the western part of the state, Cheyenne in the southeast corner, Laramie was fifty-one miles west of Cheyenne (possibly farther in 1898 as good roads have shortened distances), and Rawlins in the south.
There was one two-story building in Casper, and in this building a handful of earnest and ardent Eastern Star members, from around the state, assembled. The furnishings of this room were very different from what we have today. A bare floor, an Altar, a Bible, a small pedestal, a desk and a number of chairs were the only adornments.
We owe these Sisters and Brothers an immeasurable debt for their dedication to our beautiful Order. Their loyalty to the teachings of Charity, Truth and Loving Kindness is the reason the Grand Chapter of Wyoming, Order of the Eastern Star is celebrating 100 years of devotion to the principles of the Order.
Masonic Hall in Casper, Wyoming circa 1896
ORGANIZATION OF THE GRAND CHAPTER OF WYOMING, O.E.S.
RECORD OF THE PROCEEDINGS
The delegates of existing Chapters convened in Casper, Wyoming, on September 14, 1898, for the purpose of organizing a Grand Chapter under the direction of the Most Worthy Grand Patron H. H. Hinds.
The temporary officers elected to direct the meeting were: Brother Marion P. Wheeler, Chairman, Ft Casper No. 4 and Sister A.W. Deneche, Treasurer, Ft. Casper No. 4.
The following committees were formed to assist in the organization's development: Committee on Credentials, Committee on By-Laws, Rules & Regulations, Committee on Order of Business, Committee on Grand Officers.
Six of the eight existing Wyoming chapters were represented at the meeting: Alpha Chapter No. 1, Laramie; Naomi Chapter No. 2, Sheridan; Olivet Chapter No. 3, Lander; Ft. Casper Chapter No. 4, Casper; Oak Leaf Chapter No. 6, Cheyenne; Wyoming Chapter No. 7, Rawlins.
Esther Chapter had petitioned the General Grand Chapter for chartering on September 6, 1898, but the General Grand Chapter was not to meet until September 27, 1898. As such, it was determined that the new Wyoming Grand Jurisdiction was entitled to constitute Esther Chapter No. 9.